|Changes At:||St.Capitolina Abby|
|Number of Skills:||15|
|Total Skill Points:||82|
|Total Quest Skills:||2|
Monks are a versatile class that can deal damage in several ways unique to themselves. They are most known for the powerful Asura Strike skill, which has uses in MVP, PVP and WoE scenarios. Most builds are damage-dealers, focusing on maximizing damage via skills such as Investigate and their Combo abilities. Specialized Monk builds can be very efficient for MVP and WoE purposes.
See Monk Job Change Guide for detailed information.
Changing into a Monk from an Acolyte requires the player to complete a number of tasks:
- Item Collection Test
- Memory Test
- Mushroom Collecting or Marathon Running
- Maze Test
After completing these tests, the player will be transformed into a Monk. All of this takes place at the Monk Abbey (prt_monk).
See Acolyte Skills for first class skills.
|Adds 1~15 Flee.||10||Passive|
|Increases critical rate of attacks by 10~20, also enables use of Guillotine Fist.||5||Supportive|
|Deals a single attack consuming all of the caster's SP to deal massive damage.||5||Offensive|
|Increases damage done with knuckle class weapons by 3~30.||10||Passive|
|For 30~150 seconds, increases the user's defense and magical defense to 90.||5||Supportive|
|Consumes a single spirit sphere to attack a single target (ATK×3.5~9.5), damage is higher based on the target's DEF.||5||Offensive|
|Deals 4 hits in rapid succession to a single target at ATK×2~4, this kill is only usable in the delay after Triple Attack.||5||Offensive|
|Deals up to 3~5.4× damage to a single target, but is only usable in the delay after Chain Combo.||5||Offensive|
|Enables regular melee attacks to hit a target three times at ATK×1.2~3.0 instead of once by 29~20% chance.||10||Passive|
|Catch an enemy's sword mid-attack in 0.5~1.3 seconds, locking the Monk and the attacker in place for 20~60 seconds.||5||Active|
|Instantly transports the Monk to a targeted cell as long as a direct path to that cell exists.||1||Active|
|Enables the Monk to regenerate HP and SP at anytime by sitting even if over 50% weight.||5||Passive|
|Allows the Monk to recover SP by absorbing previously summoned spirit spheres.||1||Supportive|
|Allows the Monk to summon 1~5 spirit spheres which enable many powerful attacks.||5||Supportive|
|Throws numerous spirit spheres at a single target to deal up to 5 hits of 1.5~3.5× damage each, depending on number of spirit spheres on the character.||5||Offensive|
|Transfers all of the Monk's spirit spheres to another party member.||1||Supportive|
|Hit a single target for 300% damage, all nearby targets are knocked back and may be stunned.||1||Offensive|
- STR: 110-120
- AGI: 1
- VIT: 40-50+ (stun resist, higher health, more potion efficiency)
- INT: 20-40
- DEX: 80-110 (skills can be interrupted easily during WoE - Asura Strike must be fast)
- LUK: 1
Weapons: Carded , Chain
A made to survive Monk build suitable for WoE under precasts. With slightly lower DEX and INT (SP Issues replaced by high ranking gears) this build generally gets the job done better, and lets the user live longer overall in WoE.
Generally this build type is best supported with nicer, very expensive gears to make up for the SP shortcomings and further add to your lifespan. Because Asura Strike's damage is reduced in WoE, players need high STR and sometimes a bit of INT to ensure their Guillotine Fist will kill people in one shot. With this VIT, as a Monk you can use your Body Relocation skill amazingly in WoE through and past precasts. Great for Advanced WoE addicted players.
High INT allows for a long-lasting supply of SP while leveling, allowing the Monk to make up slower leveling speed due to lower DEX with the benefit of having to sit and regen SP far less than other monks (and may not even need the benefit of a Priest). High INT builds will also find the have an easier time using Asura Strike continuously.
STR / AGI Combo
Weapons: Carded Chain, Erde
Built to maximize the power of Throw Spirit Sphere and Investigate, this build invests in some AGI to make Call Spirits's animation quicker to chain these skills more reliably with a fast cast time. This build is more powerful in party situations, where the monk is supported by a Bard and a Tank.
These are some tricks that can aid players in battle or make the player enjoy being a monk more. The first 3 tricks are seen / heard in-game.
- How to Do it:
- While doing Investigate, clicking on any unoccupied cell (preferably next to you or the enemy) right before casting ends. (With good dex, clicking right after the cast begins usually makes it work)
- Purpose: Bypass the after-skill delay. so you can do other things quicker (ex/ another occult). May require some practice.
- Body Relocation Dance
- How to Do it:
- Use Body Relocation on the cell the player is standing on. Then hotkey /doridori and /bangbang (or /bingbing) and press them alternately.
- None other than the player's sprite will do awkward actions while spinning.
- Fight Cancel
- How to do it:
- While fighting just use Summon Spirit Sphere, and player will stop attacking (normal Melee attack) immediately.
- When attacking a monster, it is sometimes hard to stop the attack. Especially if player accidentally KS a monster.
- Steel Body and Explosion Spirits
- How to do it:
- Cast Critical Explosion then Steel Body.
- While MvPing as a tank, when Steel Body times out, player can use Body Relocation immediately without any spheres. Rinse and repeat and go back to the MvP. This trick negates the need for Fly wings or the teleport skill anymore because this trick is way more efficient than to teleport and find the MvP to tank it again.
- How to do it:
- Cast Pneuma on Asura Strike target's cell (directly on the target).
- Disable target's ability to cast Safety Wall on themselves.
Using the skill Call Spirits, a monk can summon a number of spirit spheres. At most one can have 5 spirits. Each of them can be used for various skils. They will also prevent it's owner's attacks from missing, as each adds 3 damage that won't miss.
The following skills utilize (consume) spirit spheres:
- Finger Offensive (1 spirit)
- Absorb Spirits (all available)
- Critical Explosion (5 spirits)
- Asura Strike (5 spirits, with exceptions)
- Blade Stop (1 spirit)
- Body Relocation (1 spirit, unless in Critical Explosion)
- Combo Finish (1 spirit)
- Steel Body (5 spirits)
- Investigate (1 spirit)
Remember to replenish spirit spheres when they expire. Spheres will remain even after death; however, relogging or disconnects will rob a character of their spheres, so it is needed to summon them again.
Using the quest-gained skill Spiritual Bestowment, a monk can transfer his spirit spheres to another character of the same party (with the exception for Gunslinger class, who can't receive Spheres since they have "Coins" as their Spheres). The spheres will have the same effect on any job apart from Gunslinger who can't receive them. Spheres can also be obtained through the Greatest General card.
Monks are known for their combo skills; a row of attacks that occur in a sequence.
After each combo skill, there is a delay period. During this period, the user can trigger the next skill in the sequence. Use the following calculations to find out the delay period: 1.3 - [(AGI*0.004) - (DEX*0.002)] seconds. Make sure the right hotkey is hit at the right time, and the next combo will trigger. For Chain Combo and Combo Finish, as they can't be triggered in any other method aside from a combo (or Root), the user can simply spam the hotkey once the previous skill triggers.
If a monk would like to use Asura Strike at the end of a combo, he must be in a Critical Explosion condition and have 5 spirit spheres, before starting the combo sequence. While Guillotine usually needs 5 spirits, through the combo it is possible to use even with the 4 left after Combo Finish. In this style, Asura Strike is used without a cast period, removing that weakness of the skill. However, since a small amount of SP is used to trigger the combo skills as well, the damage will be lower than a direct cast.
Tip: when chaining Asura Strike in a combo, it is only necessary press the hotkey once. Since it is usually a single-target skill, if it is pressed multiple times, the Guillotine will cancel and nothing will happen. For this reason, it is needed to concentrate and it cannot be spammed like with Chain Combo and Combo Finish. Remember, the delay starts after the Combo Finish animation is complete. Try pressing the hotkey immediately after seeing the damage from Combo Finish appear.
- Main Task: Asura Strike any opponent who is making trouble for your guild.
- Class Priority: Sages and other Monks are capable of rendering a monk useless, via Absorb Spirits, Dispell and Spell Breaker. For this reason, usually they are the first to deal with (or make sure an ally is dealing with them). Assassins, Rogues, or anyone who can Hide can evade your Asura Strike, so make sure Ruwach is applied. Wizards, Priests, and Sages are capable of Safety Wall, which can be prevented with Pneuma. For classes who usually use normal attacks (like some Assassins), Root can be used to catch them. High DEF targets can also be dealt with using Investigate.
- Offense: Due to the one-shot nature of Asura Strike, generally during an offensive attack, the main task of a Monk is to help take down any major threat on the way in. Most defending enemies can be handled by other classes, so a Monk will usually stand back until something difficult to kill (for example Knights) appear. A swift Asura Strike can destroy them, but it is crucial to refill SP by items. If a Monk falls under attack, Pneuma can be used for defense, or Body Relocation to run for cover.
- Defense: During a defensive effort, Monks are generally limited into standing by for high-priority targets. Asura Strike is used to take out anything dangerous. Pneuma and Ruwach help protect from long-ranged and hiding characters.
The Levels in which you receive a certain bonus
|Classes of Ragnarok: Asgard Legend|
|Novice Class||Novice • Super Novice|
|First Class||Acolyte • Archer • Magician • Merchant • Swordman • Thief|
|Second Class||Priest • Monk • Hunter • Bard • Dancer • Wizard • Sage • Blacksmith • Alchemist • Knight • Crusader • Assassin • Rogue|
|Expanded Class||Taekwon • Star Gladiator • Soul Linker • Recruit • Gunslinger • Apprentice • Ninja|